Do you know how to clean a gun with households items? And do you know why you should clean your gun frequently?
If you don’t know, no problem. Just keep reading this article.
A gun is a powerful weapon that can be dangerous to not properly handle or clean. If you are a gun owner, it is important to know how to clean your firearm safely and effectively with household items. This blog post will give you all the tips and tricks for making sure your guns stay in good condition. Especially without having to spend any money on expensive supplies.
Throughout this article, we will go over: what tools and materials you need? How long it takes until your firearms need gun cleaning again? Why regular maintenance is so important? And how to deep-clean when necessary.
So if you own a firearm of any kind then read on!
Gun Cleaning Kit List
If you want to clean your gun with households items, then here is the list that you need to clean a gun:
- Rags (paper towel or shop rag).
- Cleaning Rods.
- Steel Bore Brush.
- Stock Cleaning Rod.
- Gun Cleaning Solvent/Oil (Gun Oil).
- Cotton Swab.
Firearms Need Cleaning Frequently
No matter how much you take care of your Glock pistol handgun. It is going to get dirty after a while. There are some signs that indicate you need to clean your gun. These include:
- Your firearm jams frequently and fails to eject spent rounds properly.
- The firing pin is sticking or has excessive carbon build-up.
- The cylinder gap is misaligned or the cylinder rotates. Especially when the hammer is pulled back indicating a problem with timing/alignment.
- Trigger pull feels gritty or sticks when pulled.
- The bolt face has excess carbon buildup.
- The breech face has excessive wear from forcing cartridges into position during the loading process.
- Bore becomes fouled with lead deposits or copper jacketing from bullets traveling down the barrel at high velocity for extended periods of time.
Regular Gun Maintenace Is Important
Regular maintenance & clean gun is important. Because having a clean firearm ensures that it fires properly and smoothly. Here are some reasons why you should regularly maintain your firearm:
If the breech face, barrel, cylinder faces, or firing pin channel are dirty they will not slide easily. Especially when pushed by the cartridge in the chamber. So that can cause bullet failure resulting in misalignment of the round causing miss-feeds. Especially during ejection causing damage to parts that come into contact with other parts during extraction.
This leads to jamming which prevents your gun from working properly. If there is excessive carbon buildup on any part of the firearm, this can cause your gun to misfire. As a result, your rifle can prevent from firing. If there is too much wear on any part of the hammer or trigger group, this will affect how well it works. So make it harder for you to pull off a shot properly. As a result, it could either injure yourself or someone else.
How To Deep-Clean Your Gun With Household Items?
The cleaning process can start with the use of lubricant, or with a cleaning solution. No matter it is a gun barrel, or a handgun, or a rifle. You can clean your gun with household cleaner lubricant oil also.
Do It With Vinegar
You can deep-clean your gun using vinegar. Here’s how to do it:
- Place 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar into a spray bottle. Mix them together until the solution is created.
- Spray a rag with the solution and wipe down every surface of the firearm thoroughly.
- Let the firearm air dry completely before checking whether or not you’ve removed all of the dirt from every nook and cranny. If any dirt remains, repeat steps 1-3 until your gun is clean.
Do It With Baking Soda
If you don’t want to use vinegar because of its acidic properties, you can also use baking soda to deep-clean your guns, like so:
- Put some baking soda in a plastic container large enough to accommodate your firearm.
- Add enough water to create a thick paste and stir for around five minutes until it becomes smooth and consistent.
- Dip a rag into the paste and rub down every nook and cranny of the firearm. Do it until no dirt remains. Rinse off with clean water thoroughly. Then let air dry. After then put some oil on afterward. So that rust does not form on the metal parts of the gun.
Do It With Ronsonol Fluid
If you don’t want to use vinegar or baking soda then you can use Ronsonol lighter fluid to deep-clean your firearm. So here’s how you do it:
- Spray gun down the entire firearm with lighter fluid.
- Wipe off dirt using a clean rag. Be sure to wipe every nook and cranny thoroughly. There should be no dirt left on the surface of your gun after you’re done wiping it off. If there is any lingering dirt, repeat step 1 until all the dirt is removed.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for five or six times. Do it to ensure that you have completely cleaned out every nook and cranny of your gun. Let it dry completely before adding oil afterward, like so:
- Add oil generously onto every part of your firearm. Make sure to add enough for it to soak into the metal. Then create a barrier that prevents moisture from forming on your firearm.
These are some ways on how you can deep-clean your gun if vinegar, baking soda, or lighter fluid aren’t available at hand. These household items are best used in deeper gun cleaning. Especially when they are mixed with water. So if you don’t have these three things then you may need to consider using other forms of solvents.
Here are some frequently asked questions about cleaning your gun. So if you have any of these questions left unanswered then read on further.
What are some common reasons why someone should clean their gun?
There are many reasons why people should regularly maintain their guns by deep-cleaning them. Even if it isn’t necessary for them to fire rounds from the weapon. For instance, if the firearm is used outdoors in very dirty conditions then doing a regular maintenance check could help ensure that all parts are cleaned.
If you use corrosive ammunition or plan to go hunting somewhere with harsh weather conditions then doing a regular check-up would be best before heading out. It’s best to do whatever you can in order to avoid malfunctioning. Especially during battle or when hunting. Because if the gun malfunctions then you could be putting your safety at risk.
What causes corrosion?
Corrosion is caused by moisture accumulating on metal parts. Especially ones that are exposed to the skin or even just the surrounding air. It’s best to clean off any dirt or oil with a cloth or towel before you fire rounds from your firearm. Because if it gets rained on then the process of firing rounds will cause more dirt and oil to form inside. So that can lead to corrosion.
If your weapon is very dusty then it might be best for you to replace an old rag with a new one. So that no dust remains attached to previous layers of used rags. You should never use household cleaning supplies when cleaning. Because they contain chemicals. Some of which can eat away at the metal parts of your gun.
What are some common cleaning supplies?
There are many common household items that can be used to clean guns. Like vinegar, baking soda, and Ronsonol lighter fluid. All these 3 items can be found in most households and they’re very effective. Especially when used with water to deep-clean the entire firearm.
Another good thing about using household items is that these products won’t cost you anything. Because you would already have them around your house without spending a dime on them! Just make sure that if you use another solvent aside from water then it should not contain any corrosive chemicals or harsh solvents. Otherwise, it could damage the metal parts of your gun.
What are some safety precautions when cleaning a gun?
There are several safety precautions that you should take note of when performing any firearm maintenance operations.
First, make sure that your gun is unloaded before you begin the process.
Second, every time you handle a firearm make sure to keep it pointed in a safe direction away from pets or people at all times.
Third, be sure to wear safety goggles and gloves whenever necessary. Because some chemicals used for cleaning can irritate skin or even cause eye damage. If they get into the eyes.
Fourth, always triple-check if your gun is loaded after reassembling otherwise accidents could happen! If you have children living under your roof then it might be best to lock away your firearms. So they don’t accidentally get into it and hurt themselves.
Cleaning your gun with household items is not only cost-effective. But also great for the environment! Do the gun care & keep your gun perfect.
If you have any more questions please post them in the comment section.